by Melanie Stewart
The sun is shining, the snow is melting—it’s time to start thinking about spring! And with spring comes Earth Week at the Med Center.
The LiveGreen Committee is proud to announce this year’s Earth Week line-up, with plenty of time for you to prepare for the festivities.
Friday, April 22nd:
Earth Day is celebrated worldwide and we will celebrate our achievements on campus. We’ve made lots of progress on the energy and water goals in our Sustainability Master Plan.
Monday, April 25th:
The ever-popular RePurpose It contest is back and projects will be unveiled for voting. Anything that has outlived its original intent and been transformed into something else is eligible. In addition to popular vote, specific prizes will be handed out by community groups, so there’s lots of options to win! NEW THIS YEAR: If your project legitimately uses any item from the campus recycle stream (nothing hazardous or dangerous) you will receive an extra 5 votes! Check our website for contest rules.
Tuesday, April 26th 12pm-6pm and Wednesday, April 27th 6am-12pm:
Have items at home you need to get dispose of, and can’t put in the trash? We will accept a variety of items for recycling, click here for complete information:
- Personal electronics will be collected and recycled; hard drives will be shredded. Most items will be free, but there will be a nominal cost for tube TVs, CRT monitors, and hard drives.
- Free personal document shredding.
- Free personal single use alkaline battery recycling.
- Free ‘techno trash’ recycling – computer disks, CDs, and VHS tapes for shredding/recycling.
- Eyeglasses will be collected to be given to those in need.
- Have pop tabs for Ronald McDonald House? Bring those too!
You asked for more flexibility and we heard you. Instead of 1 day this event will now take place over 2 half days.
Thursday, April 28th 11:30am-1:30pm, in Lower Storz:
The Sustainability Expo returns! You requested a more central location and more presenters. Done, and done. Check our webpage for a complete list of topics; new presenters are still being added.
Friday, April 29th
Arbor Day is celebrated across the country but has special meaning Nebraska. We will plant a tree, give away free trees, and more! Check our website for more info.
No matter what your interests are, there will be something for everyone at this year’s Earth Week Celebration and we hope to see you there!