The TravelSmart program supports existing carpool groups and helps people who are trying to identify carpool partners in order to set up a new carpool group.
If you do not currently carpool and are looking for carpool partner(s)…
Before registering for TravelSmart, we encourage you to first set up a free account with Metro Rideshare to identify potential carpool partner(s) from UNMC, Nebraska Medicine, or Clarkson College. Metro Rideshare is an online program that allows you to create a personal profile and search for staff and students who are interested in carpooling and have similar situations and preferences (e.g., live within close proximity, same preferred carpool days and desired departure times, etc.)
If you currently carpool or have already identified your carpool partner(s)…
We encourage you and your carpool partner(s) to read the details below and decide as a group if you collectively want to cancel your parking permits to obtain a free carpool pass OR if you want to keep your current parking permits. Once this decision is made, you and your carpool partner(s) can register for the TravelSmart program.
Perks of TravelSmart Carpooling
As a registered carpool group with the TravelSmart program, you have the following available to you:
- Access to a free ride home (or to a hospital or a dependent’s school/daycare) when unforeseen emergencies occur on the days that your group carpools. Check out the Emergency Ride Home support program for additional details and guidelines.
- Option to obtain a free, shared carpool pass if your group cancels all of your parking permits – OR – your carpool group can keep your parking permits and continue paying the monthly fee (see Details & Decision Point below for more information).
- If your carpool group decides to cancel your current parking permits in order to obtain a free carpool pass, you are also granted the following:
- Opportunity to use daily-rate flexible parking ($3 per day) in marked sections of lots #6, #17, #21, #50, and #55 on the days that you and your carpool partner(s) drive separately. View the Daily Rate Flexible Parking Map to see the locations of the daily-rate flex parking lots.
- 3-month grace period in which you and your carpool partner(s) can request your parking permits back for your original lots (see Details & Decision Point below for more info).
Details & Decision Point: Free Carpool Pass vs. Keeping Parking Permits
As part of the registration process to be a carpooler with the TravelSmart program, you have the following two options available to you:
Option 1: Cancel All Individual Parking Permits in order to Obtain a Free, Shared Carpool Pass
- You and your carpool partner(s) can obtain a free carpool pass, but ALL MEMBERS of the carpool group need to CANCEL their current parking permits and RETURN them to Parking Services located in the UNMC Bookstore within the Student Life Center. All parking permits must be returned IN PERSON to Parking Services at the SAME TIME. Once all of the parking permits are returned, one shared portable carpool pass will be issued to the group and payroll deduction for the regular parking fee will be stopped for staff. All students will receive a prorated reimbursement of any fees paid.
- Each carpooler in the group will have his or her original parking assignment saved for 3 months from the date of TravelSmart registration (i.e., a risk-free trial period). If a carpool member wants his or her parking permit back within this 3-month grace period, a permit will be reissued for his or her original lot. If a carpooler requests his or her parking permit back after 3 months, parking will be reassigned based on where space is available. Please note that if all members collectively decide to stop the carpool group, they need to return the carpool pass to Parking Services before parking permits can be reissued.
- The shared carpool pass will be issued for the parking lot that is currently assigned to the FIRST person in the carpool group to register for the TravelSmart program. Parking lot assignment changes can be made, but will be based on space availability.
- Everyone in the carpool group has access to Emergency Ride Home on the days that you carpool.
- As a registered TravelSmart participant, you and your carpool partner(s) have the opportunity to use daily-rate flexible parking located in marked sections of lots #36, #55, and #59 on the days that you need to drive separately to campus. The cost is $3.00 for the day. Payment is provided when you arrive at the lot via a smartphone app or a cellphone that supports web browsers (or via a computer with access to the internet when you arrive to your workplace). Click here to learn more about daily-rate flexible parking and view a map of the specific lots.
Option 2: Keep Your Parking Permits (the carpool group does NOT receive a free carpool pass)
- You and your carpool partner(s) keep your current parking permits and continue paying the regular parking fee.
- With this option, your group does NOT receive a carpool pass, but you still have access to Emergency Ride Home on the days that you carpool.
- Please note that your carpool group can still cancel your parking permits at a later date by contacting Parking Services and returning your parking permits. The 3-month grace period for saving current lot assignments would start on the date that your group contacts Parking Services to cancel your permits.
Carpool groups are encouraged to consider choosing option 1, but it may not be the most desirable option for your group’s situation from a financial perspective. Generally speaking, if your group plans to regularly carpool more days per week than drive alone (e.g. 3 out of 5 days/week), it is financially advantageous to cancel your parking permits and obtain a free carpool pass (and pay for daily-rate flexible parking on the days you drive separately to campus).
However, if your group plans to drive separately more days per week than carpool, it makes more financial sense to keep your parking permits and still carpool when you can. You will still have access to Emergency Ride Home on the days you carpool to campus.
If you are still uncertain about which option is best for your carpool group, please click on the TravelSmart Options Calculator, which will help you identify the option that makes the most sense financially. You can also contact 402.559.8580 (ext 3) or firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Frequently Asked Questions about TravelSmart carpooling and other program details.
Return to the TravelSmart Homepage.