By Melanie Stewart
This year brought us an extended version of Earth Week, with an extra day of fun! We celebrated goals, saw how creative and resourceful people can be in the RePurpose It contest, collected items from your home for appropriate recycling, brought you lots of subject matter experts to answer your questions and provide you with information (and free stuff!), planted a tree, gave away free trees and seeds, and last but not least, helped a local charity plant seeds so families in need have access to fresh veggies.
So, we want to know what you thought! Please click on the link below to take our 2 minute survey. Your feedback will help us to know what to do, or not do, next Earth Week and what changes we can make so it’s even better.
RePurpose It Contest Winners:
- Grand Prize, Winner of Popular Vote:
- #18 Grace Johnson, Physical Therapy Education; Copy paper box into standing desk and storage
- Receives a 20 minute chair massage from the Wellness Center ($20 Value) and $25 Gift Card to Union Junktion Store.
- #1 Nichole Niehus, Interventional Radiology; Pallet into wine rack
- Receives a $25 Gift Card from Paradigm Gardens
- Winner selected by Habitat for Humanity Restore:
- # 24 EVS “Brighten Your Day Committee” Debra Duke, Olga Echevarria, Tami Howell, Louis Liddick, Peter McClure, Debra Roberts, Kathy Struck, Annette Traurig, & Marie Weilandt; Wooden hangers into a lamp
- Receives a Habitat Restore $25 gift certificate
- 2 Winners selected by LiveGreen Committee:
- #10, Rachel Meyer, OHSCU; Chest of drawers/shelving systems into dollhouse with carport
- Receives a gift certificate to The Company Store
- #5, Saralyn Fisher, INBRE Program; Old door, table, shelves, and trim into potting bench
- Receive a UNMC Bookstore Prize Pack
- Winner selected by Verdis Group:
- #19 Cassandra Recek, General Supply; Cardboard packing material into seed starting trays
- Receives an ALTER EGO personal water filtration duo, courtesy of Pulp–Paperie and Gifts
We’ll get information gathered from our recycling event, the rest of Earth Week and the effect it had, and bring that to you in a future article.
Thanks for helping to make Earth Week a success and for your valuable feedback.