TravelSmart: Emergency Ride Home
If you are a registered TravelSmart participant and you need an emergency ride home
Purpose & Key Details
UNMC and Nebraska Medicine have partnered with a transportation company called, IntelliRide, to offer a free Emergency Ride Home (ERH) service to registered TravelSmart participants when unforeseen emergencies come up on the days they bike, carpool, take the bus, or walk to campus.
In emergency situations, TravelSmart participants should call 402.934.8766 to request a free ride.
Please note the following key details of the ERH support program:
- This 24-hour service can only be used to travel home or to a doctor’s office, hospital, or dependent’s school/daycare.
- The ERH program can only be used for the following conditions:
- Unexpected illness of a participant or carpool driver
- Unexpected illness or accident of an immediate family member (child, partner/spouse, parent, or household dependent)
- Unscheduled overtime or late meeting (i.e. no advance notice that the participant would have to work late)
- Carpool driver had to leave work early for an emergency
- Carpool vehicle or bicycle breakdown
- Given the agreement with Intellride and the number of transport vehicles in the area, TravelSmart participants should expect to be picked up within 5 to 10 minutes of requesting the ride. However, in rare occasions, it could take up to 15 – 20 minutes for a driver to arrive. A participant will be notified of the estimated wait time when they call.
- All ERH rides must originate from the 42nd & Dewey campus.
- Up to 2 stops are permitted per ERH trip (e.g., a child’s school and then home).
- Please note, while all vehicles can transport children in carseats, Intelliride will not provide a car seats for your use. If your child needs to be in a carseat you will need to provide the carseat or transport the child in your vehicle.
- An ERH ride is free up to a total of 30 miles from the 42nd & Dewey campus. Any trip beyond 30 miles is the responsibility of the participant (i.e., participant only pays for the portion of the trip beyond 30 miles).
- TravelSmart Participants will call 402-934-8766 when they need a ride. They will be required to provide:
- their name,
- birth month and day,
- the address(es) they need to be taken to,
- where on the 42nd and Dewey campus they need to be picked up (try to provide an address the Google Maps will find, or pick a well known drop-off like Clarkson on DOC circle drive),
- and the fact that they are part of the TravelSmart program at the University of Nebraska Medical Center/Nebraska Medicine.
- Be prepared to show your ID badge when entering the vehicle.
- Trips will be calculated then and any overage beyond 30 miles will be charged over the phone as the drivers do not process monetary transactions.
- The ERH program may be used for up to 5 rides per fiscal year (July 1 – June 30). The number of allowable rides will be prorated based on the date a participant initially registers for the TravelSmart program. There is no carry-over from one fiscal year to the next. Rides taken in excess of the 5-ride annual limit are the responsibility of the participant.
- Intellride oversees a fleet of different vehicles. ERH vehicles may look slightly different, but they are always well-maintained minivans that are branded with one of Intellride’s logo on the door as well as their partner companies: Goodwill Medical Transportation, Papio Transportation, or GPS Transportation. When a TravelSmart participant calls for a ride, he/she will be notified about the color and company name of the minivan.
- When TravelSmart participants are picked up, they will be asked to provide their name, reason for the trip, and employee/student identification number.
- As part of the registration process, all TravelSmart participants are asked to confirm that they understand and agree to the ERH Guidelines.
Frequently Asked Questions about Emergency Ride Home and other TravelSmart details.
Return to the TravelSmart Homepage.