“Stairwellness” encourages you to take the stairs, instead of using the elevator.
- Save the energy required to move the elevators from floor to floor.
- You will get there faster. Taking a quick flight or two of stairs beats waiting for the elevator.
- You burn more than 50% more calories walking up stairs than on flat surfaces and 66% more calories than standing in an elevator.
- This will leave more space in elevators for patients and visitors, while improving response time for them.
- Movement can improve your overall health.
- Make your Fitbit happy.
- Use stairs throughout the day to help you keep your New Year’s resolution
Brightly colored paintings now fill the landings of the stairwells, taking the place of the institutional blank walls in University Tower. LiveGreen volunteers sold reusable hot/cold beverage cups to raise money which was then paired with Legacy funds to paint the stairwells. Students from Omaha North painted the image seen here and local artists Kelli Zaugg and Stephen Kavanaugh painted the murals on additional landings. Next time you are in the area, check them out! You’ll be helping to conserve power, burn calories, improve your health and lift your spirits; a win-win-win-win!